Oh my gosh, this has been a career. I’ve been working on moving the O-F site since January 8, first psyching myself for days because I knew it was going to be horrible, and it was.
Following some bad online advice, I copied everything off by hand, but that didn’t work. My content directory was fine, but not the WordPress files themselves.
I’m pretty sure that there was problem with versions. I think the old site may have needed to be updated. Whether for that reason or another, the WordPress files themselves were not correct, and there were a slew of missing files.
I tried a plugin to copy the files and generate the script. That worked okay except that I had no idea where the backup files were on the old server, and the plugin didn’t create a compressed archive.
I ended up using the GoDaddy WordPress install. That worked like a champ, so I only had to copy over the content files, which the plugin did copy very well, and run the database script.
I had to revise the script, though, since it was a create database, and the GoDaddy install had already put a WordPress db on the server.
I messed things up by editing the wp_option records incorrectly (I mimicked the actual directory structure, setting two key records to “www.capecoder.com/occupyfalmouth”) and forwarding and aliasing the domain. I fixed the first and GoDaddy Tech Support did the second.
I had to clear not only the browser cache but the cookies cache to get the GoDaddy File Manager to work. I had to reset permissions to FTP over Windows.
I had to create an .htaccess file to enable permalinks.
Unlike the problem I had with this blog, I was able to see images on the posts and pages where they belong.